Apr 3, 2010

Excuses, Excuses

I've been neglectful of the blog, but I had good reason. Three weeks ago I had an infection.  I dutifully went to the doctor, got antibiotics, and started feeling a little better.  But not completely better.  Two weeks ago I would come home from work each evening and fall into bed.  This is unusual, but not unprecedented.  I rationalized that work was stressful, and I was still recuperating.  I didn't want to be the obnoxious patient running up healthcare costs and strengthening bacteria by demanding more antibiotics if I didn't feel better immediately.  

Then last weekend I really started feeling poorly.  By Sunday I wasn't eating or drinking and was running a 104 fever, so I abandoned my plan to wait until Monday to go to the doctor and ended up at Primacare.  The urgent care nurses and doctors were lifesavers, and I left about an hour after arrival having been pumped full of antibiotics and in possession of a prescription for a much longer and stronger run of antibiotics.  By Sunday night I had my first adult encounter with Pedialyte (disgusting - how can they do that to children!?) and my fever had dropped from severe to merely moderate. 

I'm now feeling much better.  Not quite eating, sleeping, or living normally, but getting much closer.  I was able to go to work three days this week and really feel like I turned a corner today.   Ben has been indispensable, and if he didn't faint every time he sees or even thinks about blood, I'd say he has a gift for nursing. 

My illness did allow for plenty of reading time, so I'm now three books behind.  Stay tuned - I'll be posting again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home