Apr 13, 2010

Instances of the Number Three

I picked up Salley Vickers' book Instances of the Number Three mostly because I thought it was an interesting title.  There are better reasons to read a book, but I think there are also worse ones.

In the book, a woman named Bridget connects with her husband's mistress and mysterious young friend Zahin after his death in a car accident.  We learn about Peter through each of them. For example, we learn that much like the protagonists of every Graham Greene novel I've read, Peter is an adulterous Catholic, although only mistress Frances knows of his faith. (I'm not hatin' on GG - I really liked The End of the Affair even if I was disappointed by The Heart of the Matter, mostly because it was similar but not as good.) 

Despite the dark subject matter, it was actually a fun and fast read.  There's a bit of a mystery element to it as the reader learns more about Peter and the three he left behind.  The book shares some theories on the afterlife that I don't think the Catholic church would bless, even if there are some interesting ties to Hamlet. Not great literature, but definitely a step above your standard chick lit. 

I'm still behind - posts are upcoming on The Remains of the Day and The Big Short

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home