Aug 20, 2010

Inspiration Fulfilled

It's been a stressful week for me.  However, I am excited to share my newest completed dress.  In fact, it turned out to be fortuitous that I waited to post it. 

If you'll recall, I was inspired by the Anthropologie Grand Island dress and confident I could recreate it.  I was possibly a bit too confident and ran into some difficulties.  Since I was working without a pattern, I had to base it off measurements and clothing I already owned.  This led to the first draft being a giant tube of fabric.  I always think that I don't want it too tight, and so I should add a little ease to it.  I also make sure to remember that I'll have seams.  Then I end up with giant things that would fit two of me.

After significant trimming and way too much staring at the pictures posted on Anthropologie's website to figure out exactly how all the pieces fit together, I ended up with the following.


I don't think it looks much like the original, but I like the end result.  The collar is admittedly difficult, but I think that pinning it into submission with a vintage daisy stick pin is a good solution. 

Also, you might notice that I'm not wearing the dress, yet it is supported by a vaguely human form.  This week my husband and I celebrated the 3 year anniversary of our engagement.  We're dorky like that, because why just celebrate our wedding anniversary when we can have two anniversaries?  We usually do small gifts for such semi-pseudo celebrations--for comparison, I bought him a pretty bowl for ice cream and cereal to replace one he liked that was broken--but Ben was an overachiever, now as ever.  He'd seen dressforms on sale and bought one a month or two ago.  He planned to keep it until a real holiday, like Christmas, but he wanted me to have it now since I've been sewing more.  He also wanted me to have the opportunity to return it in case I didn't like it.  Fat chance; it's fantastic!  I can take pictures, refine the fit, and step back to see how it looks.  Now it just needs a name.  Ben suggested Chesty La Rue.  I thought about naming it Dennis (or possibly Denise) since it is a dummy.  We are taking additional suggestions.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

The dress looks great!

Maybe you should name her Hettie. I think "Chesty La Rue" is a reference to "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," which has a Hettie La Rue who causes all kinds of trouble. :) And Hettie is a nice silly name for a dummy. Although not alliterative, which I consider very important for inanimate objects.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home