Apr 12, 2006

The Past 5 Days

So, the three people (estimate) who read my blog are probably wondering where I've been. I know that you are all dying of suspense for my next fascinating post. I don't blame you, I am pretty fascinating.

[Note: It's a good thing you all know me, or you would think I was an arrogant little snot.]

While I did not plan for this to be a blog where I (merely) talk about the banalities of my life, I think that some occasional news about my doings is not totally unwarranted.

Friday:
Went to work, flew to Chapel Hill, NC. Met up with my best friend from high school (Hil), her husband (Graham), and their cat (Binx).

Saturday:
Slept in a bit then ate an authentic Southern brunch complete with grits (verdict: *shrug*). Hil and I got our hair cut then picked up her husband from work and ate sushi. The three of us met up with an old friend from my early years at SMU (Drew). We went to a party with the English grad students and various other UNC-affiliated folk. I drank some "Danger Punch" (grapefruit juice, rum, and something coconut), expressed some opinions about E.M. Forster, pet the cutest corgie I've ever seen, and met a lot of really nice and very interesting people. After that we recruited a few people from the party, ventured out in the rain in search of some low-key revelry, and ended up at the West End Wine Bar on historic Franklin St. After some pinot grigio and conversation, we walked down to the IP3 for some late night pizza. Following the total decimation of a large pizza, we headed back to Hil and Graham's apt for board games.

Sunday:
Spent most of the day shopping and spent entirely too much money. Eventually met up with Graham and Drew for dinner at the inimitable Pepper's Pizza. Was made to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon. Nothing like really cheap beer from a can (Yuengling wasn't an option) with AC/DC blaring in the background. After that we went to Visart Video, rented Wedding Crashers, and closed out the evening.

Monday:
The three of us drove to Wilmington where we ate lunch and did some exploring. Then we drove to Wrightsville Beach. Amazingly enough, it was my first beach trip ever. At low 60s, it was a bit chilly for sunbathing-appropriate clothing, but we walked around on the beach, pretended to suntan, ran up to the ocean for the sake of it, picked up seashells, etc. We ate some amazing frozen custard before we drove back to Chapel Hill, grabbed dinner at Carrburritos (best burritos ever, with amazingly Carlos O'Kelley's-like salsa), and had girls' night in (Graham was banished upstairs).

Tuesday:
Thoroughly explored Chapel Hill, particularly Franklin Street and the UNC campus. Spent the last little bit of time with Hil before another long separation (location-wise, as we communicate multiple times daily), then went to the airport, flew back to Dallas, picked up my cat, and made it back to my apt by 10 pm.

This morning I went back to work. Nothing against work, but it is indeed inferior to vacation.

Weekend in two days.

Meanwhile, I need to find TV 5 so that I can return TV 4. (TV 4 doesn't work perfectly either, although it is the least broken of the 4 TVs.) Tonight, however, is slated for recovery. I had a great long weekend, but I'm exhausted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home