Apr 30, 2006

Requiem for a Season

Today, the Dallas Stars' season ended. I witnessed this event from a seat in the American Airlines Center. I was there when Jussi scored with his trademark shootout move, when 50 shots bounced off Jose Theodore, when 20,000 people sat shakily anticipating overtime, and when that puck somehow got by poor beleaguered Turco.

Despite the disappointingly abrupt end to this season, I will remember it fondly, for it is the season I became more than a casual fan. It is the season in which I went to my first game, bought my first piece of fan memorabilia, and learned the words to the Dallas Stars fight song by Pantera. I learned the names of all the NHL teams, the rules of the new NHL and the some of the traditions of the old, and the names, numbers, and on-ice personalities of the Stars players.

There is much hockey left to played for other teams this playoff season. I wish them all well (except for the Avs).

As for the Stars, I'll see them in about 5 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home