Sep 18, 2010

Why I don't have a Kindle, Part 2

Despite lots of sewing and no book posts, I am in fact continuing to read.  I "ran out" of books this week and went to Half-Price Books. 

As I returned home with a stack of 9 new books, requiring me to find about 9 inches of bookshelf space, I wondered if maybe I should reconsider a Kindle.  They are getting cheaper, and maybe that's something to add to a Christmas list.  I decided to go onto Amazon and figure out what the same books would cost me. 

Half-Price Books Total: $53.82 plus tax
Kindle Total: $59.15 plus tax

"Look," you say, "it was only a few dollars cheaper at the bookstore, plus you won't eventually have to have an extra bedroom to store all your books.  A Kindle is definitely worth it!"  Unfortunately, you would be wrong.  The Kindle total is only cheaper because 3 of the 9 books weren't available as eBooks! 

Between the expense of books and lack of availability, there's no justifying a Kindle for me yet.  $5.98 vs. $9.86 per book means a 65% premium for eBooks.  That's a bit too much for me to swallow.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger VL - victoriaINkansas said...

This is interesting. I still am kindleness too.

And BOOKS are so pretty on my bookshelf.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

My question is, how many of the "unavailable" books did you actually enter Half Price Books wanting to read, and how many were bargain impulse buys?

I do not have a Kindle, nor do I plan to get one soon, but I still think it seems like a good idea for a voracious reader like you. And what about all the free books? e.g. anything by Dickens, Austen, etc.? That's gotta count for something!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Darci said...

Victoria - Great point. I do owe a lot of my "decor" to books at this point. I once spent an afternoon deciding which books were going to get stacked on which shelves and in what order. I had to have a good balance and mix of size, color, and content.

Hilary - If I read more classics and new release best sellers, a Kindle would be a fantastic deal. However, eBooks aren't available for a lot of older-but-not-massively-popular books as well as from some authors. In this case 1 unavailable book was an impulse, 1 was a book I was specifically seeking today, and the other was a book I've picked up many times and finally bought today, so a half-impulse.

Also, despite my concerns about the economics, I would LOVE to have a Kindle and will almost certainly buy an e-reader eventually. When my bookshelves collapse I will be singing a different tune.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home